We are Justiça Global. A Brazilian non-governmental organization that works to protect and promote human rights and to strengthen civil society and democracy, in order to build a society that fully guarantees social, political, and civil rights, and that is free of racism, sexism, and any other form of discrimination.
Thus, the pillars of action that accompany Justiça Global’s institutional mission since its foundation are the commitment to social movements and social struggles, attention to the specificities of distinct groups and territories, and litigation and advocacy work in international human rights protection bodies.
We know that the violations of rights are the symptom of a profoundly unequal society. Therefore, we are always looking for ways to create a better reality for all people, ensuring that voices are heard, and rights guaranteed. Transforming local struggles into global paths.
Justiça Global was established in 1999 by a group of researchers, lawyers, and human rights defenders. Since the foundation, our work has been based on a series of activities such as reporting complaints of human rights violations perpetrated by institutions; advocating for public policies in conjunction with the civil society; research, communication, and training, in addition to networking and, especially, litigation in international human rights protection bodies, such as the Inter-American Court and the UN Human Rights Council (in which we have had consultative status since 2019).
Justiça Global is founded.
Arrangements for the mission of UN Special Rapporteur on torture, Nigel Rodley.
Launching of the report “On the Front Line: Human Rights Defenders in Brazil – 1997-2001”, one of the first diagnoses of the risk and vulnerability to which human rights defenders are exposed in the country.
Arrangements for the mission of Asma Jahangir, Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions, and publication of the report “Summary Executions in Brazil (1997-2003)”.
Justiça Global receives the National Human Rights Award in the Human Rights Defenders Category from the Brazilian government.
Publication of the Report “Violation of Human Rights in the Amazon: Conflict and Violence on the Pará Border.”
The Inter-American Court of Human Rights condemns Brazil for the violent death of Damião Ximenes Lopes.
Arrangements for the visit of the UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions, Philip Alston, to Brazil.
• Sandra Carvalho, one of Justiça Global’s cofounders, receives the Annual Human Rights Award from Human Rights First (HRF), in recognition of her work fighting police violence in Brazil.
• Organization of the I ENPOSP – People’s Meeting for Life and a Better Model for Public Security, held in Salvador, Bahia.
Justiça Global participates in the foundation of the International Articulation of People Affected by Vale.
Organization of the 1st People’s Meeting on Public Security and Human Rights in Rio de Janeiro.
Justiça Global celebrates its 15th anniversary. Creation of the “Maria do Espírito Santo Silva Tribute — For the Appreciation of Female Human Rights Defenders ”.
• Justiça Global receives the João Canuto Human Rights Award granted by the Movimento Humanos Direitos (MhuD).
• Inter-American Court requests a hearing so that the Brazilian State answers for serious violations in the system of deprivation of liberty and in its policy of mass incarceration.
• Arrangements for the visit to monitor and evaluate the human rights situation in the country carried out by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR).
• The Inter-American Court of Human Rights condemns Brazil for human rights violations against the Xucuru Indigenous People.
JG obtains special consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), one of the main forms for civil society to access the UN system.
• The Inter-American Court condemns Brazil for the deaths in the Fireworks Factory in the Recôncavo Baiano area. The tragedy occurred in December 1998 and left 64 people dead.
• STF injunction suspends police operations in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro under ADPF 635, in which Justiça Global acts as amicus curiae.
RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION
Tribute to the Human Rights Defenders of the State of Rio de Janeiro (State Law no. 9,322/21) - 2023The Human Rights Center of Nova Iguaçu and PPDDH RJ – Program for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, Social Communicators and Environmentalists in Rio de Janeiro
Marielle Franco Human Rights Award - 2022Granted by the Legislative Assembly of Rio de Janeiro
João Canuto Award - 2017Granted by the Movimento Humanos Direitos
1st José Dutra Da Costa (Dezinho) Award - 2014Granted by the Union of Rural Workers of Rondon do Pará
Motion of Commendation for the Work in the Defense of Human Rights - 2014Granted by Rio de Janeiro’s Municipal Chamber
“A Árvore que Dá Bons Frutos” (“The Tree That Bears Good Fruits”) Tribute - 2007Granted by the Union of Rural Workers of Rondon do Pará
Human Rights Award of the Federative Republic of Brazil - 2004Granted by the Federal Government, in the Protection of Human Rights Defenders category
Commendation for the Report "The Situation of Human Rights Defenders in Brazil" - 2002Granted by Curitiba’s Municipal Chamber